Equality is an important principle our nation has championed and defended. As individuals created in the image of God, we are equally loved and valued in His eyes. Therefore, we similarly are in turn to love those around us.
In today’s culture, however, we are witnessing a skewed view of equality. Rather than focusing on equal treatment under the law, a radical agenda to favor a certain ideology is being promoted instead.
Perhaps one of the best examples to illustrate this shift is H.R. 5, the “Equality Act.” Approved by the House of Representatives earlier this summer, its stated purpose is “To prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, and for other purposes.” Discrimination should not be tolerated. However, while seeking to remove discrimination relating to sex, gender identity, and sexual orientation, this bill ultimately ends up discriminating against and punishing individuals, athletes, ministries, and businesses who hold a traditional view of marriage and gender.
According to the Family Research Council, “The ‘Equality Act’ would mandate government-imposed unfairness by requiring acceptance of a particular ideology about sexual ethics.” This dangerous piece of legislation would have many consequences. Even Speaker Nancy Pelosi recognized this reality when she said, “If there is some collateral damage for some others who do not share our view, so be it.” The Family Research Council warns that this damage would include:
- Women and girls forced to share publicly accessible bathrooms, locker rooms, and showers with men and boys
- Female athletes made to compete against biological males who self-identify as female
- Parents faced with unnecessary hurdles to getting their gender-confused children the professional counseling they so desperately need
- Doctors having no conscience protections against being ordered to perform abortions and sex-change operations
- Christian artists and business owners required to host and celebrate same-sex weddings, or have their businesses destroyed.
H.R. 5 must be a wakeup call for believers to take action in order to protect and preserve the great principles of this nation and our First Amendment rights. We cannot simply sit around wishing for change. Will you pray for our leaders who are voting on legislation that greatly impacts our lives, and will you take action to stand up for righteousness? Our nation needs you.
For more detailed information on H.R. 5, Family Research Council has written a thorough issue brief that can be found here.